Thursday, March 26, 2009

About GoAthlete Fit

GoAthlete Fit is a blog for those of us interested in health and fitness from weight loss to athletic training. I am a gadget guy, and my newest toy is the BodyMedia's GoWear Fit (similar to the BodyBugg). The data from it is going to be a big part of the focus of this blog. I love numbers and data and finding ways to use them to improve efficiency, entertainment, motivation, and whatever else they can help with.

Who are you?
I am a healthy and fit 31 year old male. I keep very active working out and playing and competing in team sports. I have gained and lost weight for different reasons, but always have kept fit and "in shape." I like to keep myself read up on the fitness industry, and find many aspects of it very fascinating.

I have been playing sports since I could walk. As a kid and through high school, soccer was my primary sport: year round, indoor and outdoor. I sprinkled in a little cross-country running during high school, but nothing serious. I decided against playing collegete soccer, but that didn't cause any problems in keeping active. I played a lot of intramural and pick-up soccer and even a competitive town league a few semesters. But most of college was spent learing and playing beach volleyball.

For the last 9 years, I have been playing indoor and town league soccer, pick-up indoor volleyball, occasional competitive indoor volleyball, varying amounts of AAA level beach volleyball, and occasional extras such as intramural flag football. Beach volleyball requires a significant amount of travel and a regular, similar level partner, or group to play and to train with. Unfortunatelly, that hasn't been much of an option the last few years, so serious competitive play hasn't been irregular the last few summers and isn't looking much better this year. I will probably travel to a few tournaments and play with some previous parteners, but without high level training it can be difficult to keep up. So to fill the need of a sport to practice and play competitevly, I took up rugby this spring with Blacksburg RFC. Having never even held a rugby ball before, these guys were very welcoming. As a traveling team that pratices 2-3 times a week(real training, not just getting together for some pick-up) and has hopes of winning their division, it is exactly the level of competitiveness I was looking for. And after playng for a few months now, I can truly say I love the sport.

So now I have the GoWear Fit device, and I am going to put it through the lifestyle of an active athlete to see where it can be benificial, what I like and don't like about it, and how both me and you can use it to reach our goals better.

No comments:

Post a Comment